Sunday, February 22, 2009

Self Evaluation Assignment 6

Were done giving our first presentations and I couldn't be more excited. I really thought this was a good way to get us up infront of the class and comfortable teaching a lesson; I'm just glad it's over.
For an evaluation of myself, in the area of music I would probably give myself a 4 (1/2). I have musical backround so I knew what the notes were, how to play them on the piano, and how to do the rhythms. When watching myself preform though I wasn't very in tune, I stuttered on some of the piano playing, and I could have used more dynamics. I think since I was nervous I lost my confidence and let my nerves take over in doing what I know how to do.
For the area of leadership I would rate myself as a 8. My body language seemed like I was nervous to be infront of the class. I was figiting a lot with my hands. When I'm nervous I just wave my hands all around. The other thing I noticed was I didn't make big gestures. From now on if I'm going to make a body movement I need to fully make the movement. I thought my voice tone, volume, eye contact, and facial expressions where good. It seemed like I kept looking around the room and trying to ingage with everyone. I could have used more energy, I tried keeping it low key so I didn't embarassed.
In the area of preparation I would give myself a 15. I spent a lot of time practicing making sure I knew what I was doing. The music was easy for me but I spent a good portion of time working on it to make sure I had it. Even thogh I kept my paper in my hand I never really used it. I think I held onto it for comfort in case I freaked out. Overall in this area I spent a lot of time getting ready so that I could do a good job.
Lastly was delivery of instruction where I would rate myself at an 18. I thought I did a really good job at going in a sequential format so that my topics would be understood. For the motivation, capturing attention, and flow I think I could have done better. I felt like I was too serious up there and I could have loosened up and had more fun. Otherwise I think I did a good job explaining and making sure that they understood what was going on. Having a closure with not yes or no questions I think really emphasized the point I was trying to make.

So my overall score would be a 45(1/2).

Most diffucult thing about the presentation was the actually presenting part. I really felt prepared, like I knew exactly what I wanted to do, but when you get up there that feeling of "you got it" goes away. It's so different to present to nobody in your room and then infront of your peers. Even though I was prepared nothing could prepare me for peer presenting.
One thing I felt I really didn't do well was have energy. I could have been way more loose and had fun with the activity. Instead of letting my nerves take the best of me I should have just gone up there to have fun and teach. When presenting I used a lot of akward hand motions, I feel next time I need to eliminated the nerves habits.
Something I thought that went well were the points I was trying to teach musically went very good. I think I did a good job of explaing the rhythm and the long/short vowels. Having a good grasp on music makes this easier but I really think I did well explaining what I wanted them to learn. Another thing would be the order of how I did things. My order of operation seemed to flow well.
If I were given a second chance to do it again I would try to calm down before I started presenting so I could be more confident. I get extremely scared to do things infront of my peers. If I could just calm down and loosen up I think I would do so much better. I could relate to my "students" better.

Overall this project was a good experience to have. I'm glad were getting the chance to work infront of people before we are thrown into a classroom!

No comments:

Post a Comment